How long has it been since you sat down and looked for cheaper insurance rates in Elkhart, IN? Elkhart consumers have a choice when looking for low-cost car insurance. They can either waste time calling around to compare prices or use the internet to make rate comparisons.
There is a better way to compare insurance rates so you're going to learn the proper way to quote coverages for a new or used and find the best price possible from Elkhart insurance agents and online providers.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, the vast majority of insurance customers have remained with the same insurance company for at least four years, and just under half have never compared insurance rates at all. With the average insurance premium being $1,389, Elkhart drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they don't invest the time required to compare rates online.
It is always a good idea to take a look at other company's rates before your policy renews because rates fluctuate regularly. Even if you got the best premium rates on insurance last year there is a good chance you can find better prices now. There is a lot of wrong information about insurance on the web, but by reading this article, you're going to learn some of the best techniques to quit paying high insurance rates in Elkhart.
If you're already insured or are looking for a new policy, use these techniques to lower your rates without having to cut coverage. We hope to help educate you on the best ways to compare prices and some tips to save money. Drivers only have to learn the fastest way to get comparison rates online.
Why informed drivers pay less for insurance in Elkhart
One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of the different types of things that are used to determine the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what determines premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in cheaper rates. Many different elements are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, but others are less obvious such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
The itemized list below are a few of the "ingredients" companies use to determine prices.
- Prices may be higher where you live - Residing in a rural area can be a good thing if you are looking for the lowest rates. People who live in big cities regularly have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Lower population means reduced accidents in addition to fewer liability claims.
- You might pay higher costs if you are single - Having a spouse helps lower the price on your policy. Marriage means you're less irresponsible and statistics show married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Keep claims to a minimum - Car insurance companies in Indiana provide cheaper rates to people who only file infrequent claims. If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Your car insurance is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Credit rating impact car insurance prices - Having a bad credit score is a big factor in determining what you pay. Insureds that have good credit tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than those with lower credit scores. Therefore, if your credit score leaves room for improvement, you could pay less to insure your vehicle by improving your credit score.
- Liability insurance limits on your policy - A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance will protect you when you are determined to be liable for damages from an accident. It provides legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is very inexpensive when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Incidental coverages that may not be needed - There are a lot of optional add-on coverages that can add up when buying car insurance. Coverages like replacement cost coverage, accident forgiveness, and term life insurance are some examples. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so remove them and pocket the money.
- Always keep your car insurance in place - Driving with no insurance can get you a ticket and car insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance lapse for non-payment. In addition to paying higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a steep fine or even jail time. You could then be forced to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Indiana DMV.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference - The make and model of the car or truck you are insuring makes a substantial difference in how high your rates are. The cheapest rates are for the lowest performance passenger vehicles, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Finding cheaper auto insurance quotes can be surprisingly simple. The only requirement is to invest a few minutes to compare rate quotes online from several insurance companies.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Indiana. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit as many as you can to find the lowest car insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$824||$412||$69|
|Chevrolet Equinox LS AWD||$956||$478||$80|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$886||$443||$74|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$832||$416||$69|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$882||$441||$74|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SE||$840||$420||$70|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$1,026||$513||$86|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$656||$328||$55|
|Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab 4WD||$798||$399||$67|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,228||$614||$102|
|Honda Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$978||$489||$82|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$676||$338||$56|
|Honda Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$1,204||$602||$100|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD||$1,074||$537||$90|
|Mazda 3 I Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$654||$327||$55|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$892||$446||$74|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$766||$383||$64|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,034||$517||$86|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Indiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Premium costs do not factor in specific location which can increase or decrease premium rates noticeably.
Higher deductibles lower rates
The illustration below shows how choosing a deductible and can change Toyota Camry insurance costs for each different age category. The rate quotes are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Three reasons insurance is important
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Elkhart, insurance may be required for several reasons.
First, the majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In Indiana these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your car, almost all lenders will require that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the bank may insure your vehicle at an extremely high rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance preserves both your assets and your vehicle. It will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your vehicle gets damaged, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially for larger claims. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays as much as $865 each year so it's very important to do a rate comparison every year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Car insurance discounts are available to get cheap rates
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but discounts can save money and there are some available that may help make it more affordable. Certain credits will be shown at the time of purchase, but some must be manually applied prior to receiving the credit. If you are not receiving all the discounts possible, you could be getting lower rates.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Driving less could qualify for slightly better prices than normal.
- Driver's Education for Students - Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver's ed class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- No Claim Discounts - Drivers with accident-free driving histories are rewarded with significantly better rates on Elkhart car insurance quote as opposed to accident-prone drivers.
- Government Employees - Active or retired federal employment may qualify for a discount when you quote Elkhart car insurance with select insurance companies.
- Driving Data Discount - Drivers that enable driving data collection to look at when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate could see a rate decrease as long as they are good drivers.
- College Student - Kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Elkhart and do not take a car to college can receive lower rates.
One thing to note about discounts is that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, you aren't that lucky.
Auto insurance companies that may include some of the discounts shown above are:
It's a good idea to ask each company or agent the best way to save money. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policies in your area. To choose companies with the best discounts in Elkhart, click here.
The lowest rates come from being thorough
Some companies do not provide price quotes online and usually these smaller companies sell through independent agents. More affordable auto insurance in Elkhart can be purchased both online as well as from insurance agents, so you need to compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
Drivers switch companies for a variety of reasons including high rates after DUI convictions, not issuing a premium refund, policy non-renewal or policy cancellation. Regardless of your reason, switching companies can be easy and end up saving you some money.
We just showed you some good ideas how to reduce auto insurance premium rates online in Elkhart. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Elkhart car insurance, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the lowest premium rates come from the least-expected company.
Additional detailed information can be found at these sites:
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Chevrolet Silverado in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Kia Forte in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Mazda CX-7 in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Indiana Car Insurance for a School Permit? (FAQ)
- How Much are Indiana Car Insurance Quotes for Veterans? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Car Insurance in Mishawaka, IN? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Merrillville, IN? (FAQ)
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)