Having to pay for overpriced insurance in South Bend can overdraw your family's budget and put the squeeze on your family's finances. Shopping your coverage around is a great way to lower your bills every month.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that most drivers in Indiana have remained with the same insurance company for a minimum of four years, and just short of a majority have never compared quotes from other companies. American consumers could save up to $860 a year just by shopping around, but they underestimate the amount of money they would save if they just switched companies. Due to the abundance of different company options, it is very difficult to pick the lowest cost insurance company.
It's a great practice to compare rates occasionally due to the fact that insurance prices change frequently. If you had the best deal on insurance six months ago there may be better deals available now. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because we're going to show you the things you must know in order to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
All major auto insurance companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO provide prices for coverage on their websites. Obtaining pricing is possible for anyone as all you need to do is type in your required coverages as detailed in the form. After you complete the form, their rating system will order your driving and credit reports and returns pricing information based on the data you entered. Being able to quote online makes comparing rates easy, and it's absolutely necessary to perform this step if you want to get a better rate.
To save time and compare rates using this form now, compare quotes from the companies shown below. If you have coverage now, it's recommended you input the insurance coverages exactly as shown on your declarations page. Doing this assures you are getting a rate comparison for similar coverage.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide free rate quotes in South Bend, IN. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you click on several of them to get the cheapest price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$930||$465||$78|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Regular Cab||$900||$450||$75|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$966||$483||$81|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$924||$462||$77|
|Ford Explorer XLT 2WD||$792||$396||$66|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 2WD||$868||$434||$72|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,062||$531||$89|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,118||$559||$93|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$724||$362||$60|
|Honda Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$674||$337||$56|
|Kia Optima EX||$952||$476||$79|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$866||$433||$72|
|Nissan Rogue S 2WD||$1,012||$506||$84|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$988||$494||$82|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$784||$392||$65|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$1,020||$510||$85|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Indiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, homeowner, and safe-driver. Premium amounts do not factor in South Bend location which can affect coverage prices considerably.
Policy deductible comparison
One of the more difficult decisions when buying car insurance is how high should the physical damage deductibles be. The figures shown below can help show the price difference when you choose different physical damage deductibles. The first data set uses a $100 deductible for comp and collision and the second set of prices uses a $1,000 deductible.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Premium data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Indiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Rate information does not factor in specific location information which can affect premiums substantially.
Based on the data above, we can derive that using a $100 deductible costs an average of $31 more each month or $372 each year than opting for the higher $1,000 deductible. Since you would have to pay $900 more if you file a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you normally go more than 29 months between claims, you would save more money going with the higher deductible.
Impact of speeding/accidents on South Bend car insurance rates
The chart below highlights how speeding tickets and accident claims increase Nissan Sentra insurance premiums for different insured age categories. The costs are based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Insurance discounts help lower rates
Insurance is not inexpensive, but you may qualify for discounts to cut the cost considerably. Most are applied when you get a quote, but a few must be asked about before being credited.
- Auto/Life Discount - If the company offers life insurance, you could get a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Telematics Discount - Drivers that enable data collection to study when and where they use their vehicle remotely such as Progressive's Snapshot and State Farm's In-Drive could see a rate decrease if they are good drivers.
- Pay Upfront and Save - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of paying each month you can avoid the installment charge.
- Online Discount - Some of the larger companies will give a small break for signing up on your computer.
- Resident Student - College-age children who are enrolled in higher education away from home without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though the math looks like all the discounts add up to a free policy, nobody gets a free ride.
Car insurance companies that may include these money-saving discounts include:
If you want inexpensive South Bend car insurance quotes, ask each company which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in your area.
Informed drivers know how to buy auto insurance cheaper
Lots of things are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, although others are less obvious like where you live or how financially stable you are. An important part of buying insurance is that you know a few of the rating criteria that play a part in calculating auto insurance rates. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that could result in lower premium levels.
- Does car insurance cost more for males? - Statistics have proven females are less aggressive when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. They both are responsible for fender benders in similar numbers, but the male of the species cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Not only that, but men also have more aggressive citations such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Multiple policies with one company - The majority of insurers apply better rates to clients that have more than one policy. It's known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you still need to compare rates to help guarantee you have the best rates.There is a good possibility that you can find a better deal by splitting coverages up.
- Lower premiums for safer vehicles - Safe vehicles get lower rates. Highly rated vehicles protect occupants better and lower rates of occupant injuries means less claims paid and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Is your vehicle built for speed? - The performance of the car you own makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. The lowest performance passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Cheaper rates after marriage - Your spouse may earn you lower rates on your policy. Having a significant other demonstrates that you tend to be more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
- Your stress level may be raising your prices - Jobs like military generals, airline pilots, and accountants generally pay higher average rates in part from job stress and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, jobs such as professors, historians and performers get better rates.
Local South Bend car insurance agents and auto insurance
Some people would rather buy from a licensed agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Good insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help in the event of a claim. One of the great benefits of comparing auto insurance online is that you can find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from and supporting neighborhood agents is still important in South Bend.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in South Bend who will return price quotes to get your business. You won't need to contact an agency because quoted prices will be sent directly to you. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific company, just search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Different types of South Bend car insurance agents
If you want to buy auto insurance from a reliable agent, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Auto insurance policy providers can be described as either exclusive or independent. Either can do a good job, but it's important to know the difference between them because it can factor into your agent selection.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type are not employed by any specific company so they can quote policies with lots of companies and find the cheapest rate. If premiums increase, the business is moved internally and you stay with the same agent. If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, it's a good idea to get rate quotes from independent agents for the best price selection.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These agents work for only one company and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Choosing the best auto insurance agent requires more thought than just the quoted price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
After you get good feedback for all questions you ask and a low price estimate, most likely you have located an insurance agent that will properly insure your vehicles.
What insurance coverages do I need?
When selecting the right insurance coverage, there isn't really a "perfect" insurance plan. Everyone's situation is a little different.
For example, these questions could help you determine whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- How do I insure my teen driver?
- Is my state a no-fault state?
- What does medical payments coverage do?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Don't believe everything you hear
Consumers in Indiana get pounded daily by advertisements for cheaper auto insurance by Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. All the ads advertise claims about savings if you switch your policy.
How can each company charge less that you're paying now?
Auto insurance companies have a preferred profile for the driver that earns them the highest profit. For example, a desirable insured may need to be a married male, has never had a claim, and the vehicle is rated for pleasure use. Any person that matches those criteria receive the lowest rate quotes in South Bend and therefore will save a lot on South Bend auto insurance if they switch.
Consumers who don't meet this stringent profile will be charged higher premium rates and ends up with the customer not purchasing. The ad wording is "customers that switch" not "everyone that quotes" save that much. That's why companies can truthfully lure you into getting a quote.
This emphasizes why you absolutely need to compare rate quotes every year. It is just not possible to predict with any certainty which company will give you lower prices than your current company.
Cheap insurance premiums are out there
In this article, we covered a lot of techniques to save on insurance in South Bend. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the most savings is with the least-expected company.
When shopping online for insurance, make sure you don't skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped physical damage coverage only to find out they didn't purchase enough coverage. The aim is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Drivers leave their current company for any number of reasons including questionable increases in premium, being labeled a high risk driver, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or policy non-renewal. Whatever your reason, finding a new company is actually quite simple.
Much more information about insurance in Indiana is available on the following sites:
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Indiana Car Insurance Quotes for a Ford Explorer? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Indiana Auto Insurance Rates for Active Military? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Homeowners in Indiana? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a Ford Escape in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for 16 Year Olds in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)