Nobody that owns a car likes having to buy insurance, especially when they know they could lower their rates if they shopped around.
Unbelievable but true according to a study the vast majority of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for a minimum of four years, and just short of a majority have never compared rates with other companies. With the average premium in the U.S. being $1,847, drivers could save an average of nearly $860 each year by just comparing quotes, but most undervalue how much money they would save if they bought a different policy.
There are many auto insurance companies to pick from, and although it's a good thing to have a choice, too many choices makes it more difficult to find the best rates for your vehicles.
You need to compare premium rates before your policy renews since insurance prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you got the lowest price on Chevy Equinox insurance in Indianapolis a couple years back there may be better deals available now. There is a lot of bad information regarding Equinox insurance out there, but I'm going to show you the best ways to find cheap insurance in Indianapolis.
Locating the most cost-effective insurance policy in Indianapolis can be easy if you know a few tricks. Just about everyone who has to purchase insurance will most likely find a lower-cost company. But Indiana consumers benefit from understanding the methods companies use to price insurance differently and take advantage of how the system works.
Get cheap Chevy Equinox insurance in Indianapolis with discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you may be missing some discounts that can help lower your rates. Certain discounts will be applied when you get a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be specifically requested before you get the savings.
- Driver Training Discounts - Taking part in a driver safety course could earn you a small percentage discount if your company offers it.
- Save with a New Car - Buying a new car model can save you some money since newer models have better safety ratings.
- Multi-policy Discount - When you have multiple policies with the same company you may earn up to 20% off your total Equinox insurance premium.
- Clubs and Organizations - Joining specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a simple method to lower premiums when getting a Indianapolis car insurance quote.
- Low Miles Discount - Driving fewer miles could qualify for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more on Equinox insurance in Indianapolis.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Drivers who insure multiple cars or trucks with the same auto insurance company could earn a price break for each car.
- Drivers Education - Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver's ed class in school.
- Early Payment Discounts - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying in monthly installments you may reduce your total bill.
- Paperwork-free - Certain companies will give you a small discount just for signing your application over the internet.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think all those discounts means the company will pay you, it's just not the way it works. Any qualifying discounts should definitely cut your auto insurance premiums.
Large auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include multiple policy, safe vehicle, passive restraint, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, membership and employees, seat belt use, defensive driver, and multi-policy.
- Allstate may include discounts for teenSMART discount, defensive driver, premier discount, safe driver, good payer, and good student.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including anti-lock brakes, bundle discounts, homeowner, drive less, anti-theft, and multi-car.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts for good student, renewal discount, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe driver, and youthful driver.
- Progressive includes discounts for good student, continuous coverage, online signing, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, homeowner, and multi-policy.
- AAA offers discounts including multi-policy, pay-in-full, education and occupation, good driver, good student, and anti-theft.
When getting free Indianapolis car insurance quotes, it's a good idea to each company which discounts they offer. Savings may not apply to policies in Indianapolis. If you would like to see a list of providers that offer multiple discounts in Indianapolis, click here.
All the larger auto insurance companies such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm make it easy to get coverage prices directly from their websites. Comparing prices online for Chevy Equinox insurance in Indianapolis doesn't take a lot of time as all you need to do is type in the amount of coverage you want into the quote form. After the form is submitted, the quote system collects credit information and your driving record and returns a price quote based on these factors. Being able to quote online for Chevy Equinox insurance in Indianapolis makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it's also necessary to do this in order to find lower-cost auto insurance pricing.
To save time and find out what other companies charge, compare rates from the companies below. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend that you enter the limits and deductibles identical to your current policy. This ensures you're receiving a price comparison using the exact same coverages.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer free quotes in Indiana. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Equinox LS 2WD||$208||$428||$318||$18||$94||$1,066||$89|
|Equinox LT 2WD||$132||$264||$340||$20||$102||$858||$72|
|Equinox LS AWD||$208||$450||$318||$18||$94||$1,088||$91|
|Equinox LT AWD||$216||$366||$280||$16||$84||$962||$80|
|Equinox LTZ 2WD||$272||$514||$280||$16||$84||$1,166||$97|
|Equinox LTZ AWD||$234||$504||$294||$18||$88||$1,138||$95|
|Equinox LTZ AWD||$244||$430||$280||$16||$84||$1,054||$88|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Indiana minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and homeowner. Prices do not factor in specific location information which can modify prices noticeably.
Impact of citations and accidents on insurance rates
The diagram below demonstrates how speeding tickets and at-fault fender-benders can increase Chevrolet Equinox insurance premiums for different insured age categories. Data assumes a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Car insurance quotes from local neighborhood Indianapolis car insurance agents
A small number of people still like to sit down with an agent and doing that can be a smart decision A nice benefit of comparing rate quotes online is that you can find cheaper auto insurance rates and still buy from a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your coverage information gets sent to agents in your area that provide free Indianapolis car insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. You won't even need to contact an agency because prices are sent immediately to your email address. You can find better rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific company, you can always visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
Picking an company needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Get answers to these questions too.
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- How are claims handled?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- What is the agency's Better Business Bureau rating?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
Indianapolis car insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
When researching a good insurance agency, there are a couple of types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Car insurance agents in Indianapolis are either independent or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel have only one company to place business with and examples are American Family, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive insurance agents receive a lot of sales training on the products they sell which can be an advantage.
Below are Indianapolis exclusive agents who may provide you with price quotes.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be independent can sell policies from many different companies so they can write business with a variety of different insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a cheaper price, your agent can just switch to a different company and that require little work on your part. If you need lower rates, you will definitely want to get insurance quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the most accurate price comparison.
Listed below is a short list of independent agencies in Indianapolis willing to provide rate quotes.
If you get acceptable answers to any questions you may have and locked in a price quote, you may have just found a car insurance agent that can be relied on to provide car insurance coverage. But keep in mind you can cancel your coverage whenever you want so don't feel you're contractually obligated to a specific agent for a certain time period.
Buying the right Chevy Equinox insurance in Indiana is an important decision
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Indianapolis, insuring your vehicle may not be optional for several reasons.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Indiana these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy has a lienholder, it's most likely the lender will stipulate that you carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy at an extremely high rate and require you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects your car and your assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability coverage also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. But the average driver in Indiana overpays more than $855 a year so you should quote rates once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Car insurance specifics
Knowing the specifics of a car insurance policy helps when choosing appropriate coverage at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. These are the usual coverages available from car insurance companies.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Med pay and PIP coverage pay for bills for things like dental work, hospital visits and X-ray expenses. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover you and your occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not universally available and may carry a deductible
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as vandalism, hail damage, hitting a bird, falling objects and damage from flooding. The most your car insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Auto liability insurance
This coverage will cover damage that occurs to a person or their property. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show limits of 25/50/10 that means you have $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and a limit of $10,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against things such as repair bills for other people's vehicles, attorney fees, structural damage, pain and suffering and court costs. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Indiana state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/10 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
This will pay to fix damage to your Equinox resulting from a collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims like crashing into a ditch, sideswiping another vehicle and rolling your car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible on your Equinox to bring the cost down.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection when the "other guys" do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Chevy Equinox.
Because many people have only the minimum liability required by law (25/50/10 in Indiana), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked.
A conclusion for your insurance search
We covered some good ideas how to shop for Chevy Equinox insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even discover the best price on insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. They often have lower rates on specific markets than their larger competitors like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
When getting Indianapolis car insurance quotes online, it's not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. Too many times, an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your objective should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost, not the least amount of coverage.
Additional information can be found on the following sites:
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Good Drivers in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 70 in Indiana? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Indiana Car Insurance Rates for a Honda Civic? (FAQ)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Warning systems don't curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)